St. Thomas Inter College Shahganj, Jaunpur which had its humble beginning as St. Thomas School in the year 1934, is a monumental testimony to the untiring efforts of the bold, zealous and dedicated missionaries of the past and present. Committed to the motto of “Lux in Tenebris” (Light in darkness), it has all along endeavored vigorously to dispel the darkness of illiteracy in the eastern part of U.P.
The late Fr. Paschal Sinha of the undivided Allahabad Diocese started it in a rented building of Iraqiana Mohalla. In the course of time the school had to be shifted to present site due to some misfortunes befalling the school. Few landlords of village Suris and late Mr. Sageer Ahmad donated same land to the school.
It got official recognition as Middle School in 1938 and in 1945 it was accorded of High school status and Mr. Gulam Hasnain appointed as the Principal. In 1951 it was raised to the level of Intermediate College, affiliated to the U.P. Board. In 1971 it come under grand in aid for Arts and Science. It has made long strides and has established itself as one of the foremost educational institution of the rural eastern U.P. the reputation of the college got a further boost with the visit of Sri Gyani Zail Singh, the then President of India in the year 1984. The successful march in on and the college is scaling ever-newer heights.